Monday, May 6, 2013

Even I make mistakes

Sometimes even Bible teachers who pride themselves on Biblical accuracy make mistakes. That is one of the reasons I tell people at the start of nearly every sermon I give, "Don't believe this man talking to you. Go and search the Word of God for yourself to prove whether or not the words are true. You're supposed to work out your own salvation with fear and trembling and to "test the spirits"". Well, sometimes even this fella talking at you makes mistakes!

After a lot of follow-up research I've discovered that something I've taught on for many years was actually not true. I was taught by one of my professors in Seminary and again by some missionaries from South Africa to the USA that the names of the curtains/doors of the Tabernacle were "The Way, The Truth and The Life."

As far as I can tell (as I said after a many months of follow-up research), I can find nothing proving what they taught me. So, until I hear otherwise, I am going to make the educated decision to say that I've been teaching this wrong. Perhaps my teachers can educate me on the their facts, but a this point they have not.

So until further notice I am calling myself wrong on this subject. Please accept my apologies.
1Like · · Promote ·
  • Pat Hoffman I thought those words only apply to Jesus.
  • Tov Rose A couple of commentaries I found mention it indirectly:



    The way. The truth. The life. The offer corresponds with the three entrances of the tabernacle. The sinner came first to the gate, the wide open gate with its invitation to the people to come in. That way led directly to the altar and to the laver, to cleansing from sin and to peace with God. Then came the door, half as wide and twice as high as the gate. Not so many ever passed this portal, but those who could and did entered into the holy place and stood in the presence of truth—the lampstand promising illumination, the shewbread on the table offering communion, the golden altar indicating intercession—all higher truths than are grasped by those who never progress beyond a bare salvation. Beyond all this was the veil, leading into the holy of holies, where few could penetrate. There was the mystery of life: the cherubim overshadowing the mercy seat, ever occupied with the blood sprinkled there; the ark with pot of manna, the unbroken law, the rod of Aaron with its buds, blossoms, and almonds, all speaking of the deep things of Christ; and over all the shekinah glory cloud in which God himself dwelled.




    John Phillips, The John Phillips Commentary Series – Exploring the Gospel of John: An Expository Commentary,




    The Old Testament temple which succeeded the Mosaic tabernacle was marked by partitions. There were three entrances into the three departments: the outer court, the Holy Place, and the Holy of Holies. Then there were sections partitioned off for priests, Israel, women, and Gentiles. Christ, by His death, took out the veil, and He became the Way (the outer court), the Truth (the Holy Place), and the Life (the Holy of Holies). Now we come through Christ directly into the presence of God the Father. Those who come to Him are removed from their little departments and are placed in Christ, the new Temple where there are no departments. The Cross dissolves the fences, and the gospel is preached to the Gentiles, those who were afar off, and to the Jews, those who were near. What a picture we have here!




    J. Vernon McGee, Thru The Bible with J. Vernon McGee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to interact?